How to Learn Design Composition
Design composition I think is a lot like photography composition.
- Rule of thirds
- Different patterns like golden ratio
- Leading lines — use the natural lines to draw the eyes to the subject
- Negative space — have more negative space, busy photos are not great
- Colour (make the subject stand out)
- Implied story
Okay so let’s try to put everything into a remixed graphic.
I wanna mix a statue with a photo. And add these other things:
- Background with lots of negative space
- Frame with typography creating leading lines
- 2D and 3D
- Consistent lighting
- Splash of colour accents
- Focus and non focus areas
- Story is … idk yet
- Style, glitch effect
Basically this was made with PhotoShop, Illustrator, XD and After Effects and Premiere lol. Nothing crazy in each thing, I’m sure you could do most of it in Photoshop and After Effects but I resorted to other apps when they made things simpler.
Stuff I learned.
- Annoying things like Medium’s 25 MB upload limit
- Not to waste my time with online compressors
- How to export and import stuff into each app
- That’s about it.